Barracudas are in.

D-Link Systems ShareCenter 2-Bay USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure DNS-320 BlackCurrently building my backup solution. I've ordered a d-link DNS-320 from Tigerdirect.ca for 99$ (wow!) with two 1TB drives that will run in RAID1.

The DNS-320 is, on paper, a great update to the d-link lineup! It has a built-in ftp server and an Ajax-based file browser to maintain files remotely among other things. I'll do a write-up once everything is setup.

The Barracuda's (Seagate ST31000520AS Barracuda LP) are in and waiting for their new home. This is my first time ordering drives online so I really hope they are not DOA when I pop them in. I know how delicate the postal service people can be...

These Barracudas have good reviews. At 5900 RPMs they should be able to handle backups and streaming (that's a whole other project!) while keeping the heat down. One terabyte should be fine for now... Who would have thought memory would be so cheap? I know I will look back at this and 1TB will sounds ridiculously small, but right now, it's alot of storage!

What I like about the DNS-320 is that it can run on its own and I can shutdown the PCs. It even has a USB port to connect a printer so no need for a PC running to share it.

More to come when everything is setup.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung just made me excited about tablets again!

Samsung or Google? who is responsible for this?

Christmas gadget : Kindle 3