Back from... I dunno, just back.

I must admit, I was in a writing rut. Recently, nothing has got me excited about gadgets. I've been looking for a monitor to hook up to a desktop I had and just recently found an Acer 22" monitor for pretty cheap so I went with that.

Now, I'm in the market for a 1TB hard drive to store all my stuff. I'm very intrigued with the Samsung drives. I wish Maxtor was still around as they were the only company I really trusted with my data!

Motorola XOOM Android Tablet (Verizon Wireless)Anyhow, I think I'm back to writing. My problem is I'm not sure what to write about. I've been looking at the Motorola Xoom tablet as being pretty interesting running Honeycomb and all, but I still think the money is not worth a tablet right now. Whether it be an Android tablet or the "magical" iPad2, they're just big toys and nothing else. There is no "need" for a tablet. Seriously, I saw someone on the subway with an iPad and they were playing solitaire on it! Solitaire? Really?

I will say that I'm increasing my belief that there is no need for a Windows7-based tablet. The more I play with Android, the more I like how it works and its possibilities. The fact that manufacturers are customizing the launchers does not bother me at all. At some point someone will get it right. Apple has it wrong in my opinion with the lack of widgets and a desktop. It "might" be fine for a phone (and even then I'd rather widgets on my phone) but it is not functional on a tablet with tons more of screen estate.

It might be that we just bought a van and spending money is kind of on hold right now. The Honda Odyssey we got is a base model. Gadget-wise, it is pretty boring but we just could not afford the higher-end models with rear entertainment systems, navigational panel, etc. I guess I'll have to tweak it as we go along. When the kids get older, they'll surely want tablet-like stuff for entertainment, until then, all they get is a DVD player!

So I'm not really excited about anything on the market right now. My Samsung Galaxy S still keeps me busy and happy. App stores are a great thing and with the release of the Android Web Market it's fun to browse apps. I'm also waiting on the release of Skype with video support for Android. I can't believe they have not released it yet! I understand they bought Qik and all, but why wait so long to release the app? With more Android users than iOS as I write this, a lot of people are waiting for this release!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung just made me excited about tablets again!

Samsung or Google? who is responsible for this?

Christmas gadget : Kindle 3