Samsung or Google? who is responsible for this?

It seems the SGS (Samsung Galaxy S) Vibrant on Bell is running into Internal SD failures. It is a problem  reported by many and they have to send their phone in for repair (4-5 weeks they are told!!).

I thought I was in the same boat (and maybe I am). After a call I received, I put the phone down and all of a sudden it started vibrating randomly. So I wake it and it keeps on vibrating. Then, I start seeing "Force Closed" messages for different apps. Can't open Facebook app, Twitter and even can't manage applications.

I knew of the Internal SD problems so I figured I was doomed. I shutdown the phone, even then the phone was vibrating, odd. I restarted. No dice. I got pass the Samsung animation and the screen went black and more vibrations (is this why they call it the Vibrant?). I pull the battery and figure I'll try recovery mode.

So I press Volume Up + Home + Power for about 10-15 seconds (past the Samsung intro screen) and am presented with the recovery options. I figured I'd go all out so I chose to format the internal SD memory and do a factory reset. This means I lose all my data (which luckily was backed up). I click reboot phone and I'm back in business... but I am very scared.

I have a feeling the phone will die sooner or later. Odds are this is a hardware issue with the internal SD but it is odd that this comes a few days after a Froyo install. Some say the flashing firmware accelerates what was going to happen anyways in the long. If true, better to have these failures now than when the warranty runs out! Also, it means Samsung is to blame for choosing cheap parts for their internal SD. Well, surprise, with all the repairs that will be needed, it will cost you more in repairs than the extra 20$ it might have cost you to put in good hardware!

So how long will my phone last? Part of me wishes it had died right there and then. I'd be really frustrated to ave to send it in and be left with whatever cheap loaner phone I would have been given, but on the other hand my phone would be fixed. Now, I feel like I have a ticking time bomb on my hands. It could fail at any time, or not. Only time will tell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung just made me excited about tablets again!

Christmas gadget : Kindle 3